Add to Technorati Favorites Ideal Advice: The Self-Help Search for Truth and Balance: Models Banned for Being Too Skinny

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Models Banned for Being Too Skinny

"I absolutely don't want models who are too skinny... They are a bad example for young generations." Explained designer Raffaella Curiel who fired 15 models from her show in Rome because they were too skinny, complying with a fashion code signed by the Italian industry last year to combat anorexia.

I had never heard about this ban that came in the wake of a 21-year-old Brazilian model's death from anorexia a month earlier. At the time of her death the 5-foot-8 inch model weighed 88 pounds.

We all obviously understand the reasoning behind these new regulations but I am curious to know about the weight and height of the 15 models banned form the show. I mean where do you draw the line? I think anorexia and other eating disorders have a lot more to do with self-confidence and satisfaction than creating a certain appearance. Maybe this is the first step to make improvements or possibly a inane stab at addressing a problem that is more complex than we perceive it to be from the outside in.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the issue is that models are, well, models. We look to them as an example. Young girls look at models and think - hey I should look like her, she is a "model." The truth is, when these girls try to achieve what they see on the runway through healthy means, they are not always successful. Sometimes, they have to resort to starvation, bulimea, etc. in order to achieve what is portrayed as perfection on catwalks all over the world. Even girls who are models already, feel the pressure to stay ultra thin, as evinced by the poor girl that passed away (prompting the passage of this legislation). I agree with you that there is a line drawing issue; however, sometimes the government has to draw a line in order to send a message and protect the public.

Joseph Ahdoot M.A. said...

I think everyone gets what your saying and I don't dispute it one bit. I just have a feeling that it is a little more complex. I was once told by someone who once suffered from Anorexia that it had little to do with physical appearance and more to do with control issues. In some way not eating gave her a sense of control... What I don't get is how people can find that kind of extreme skinniness attractive.